Deciding to expand a family is a personal decision, and for parents of children with severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), it can be a difficult one filled with many questions. Will my other children have SCID? What are my options if we decide to have more children? Is choosing not to have more children the best path forward for us?
To address these questions and provide guidance for parents, SCID Compass created “Family Planning: Thinking About the Future,” a downloadable family planning guide. The guide stresses that parents should decide how to plan their family based on their desires, not the preferences of others, and outlines the following key considerations:
- Understand the type of SCID diagnosed in your child
- Know if either parent is a carrier of SCID
- Explore all family planning possibilities including:
- Not expanding your family
- Choosing to have additional birth children through natural conception or in vitro fertilization
- Building your family through adoption
The SCID family planning guide also assists parents in the decision process by providing a worksheet. The worksheet prompts parents to discuss answers to questions like:
- What are your family’s greatest strengths?
- What are your family’s top health priorities?
- What do you envision your family to look like in five years?
SCID Compass produced the family planning guide in partnership with Genetic Alliance’s Expecting Health and with the input of families whose children have SCID.
Download “Family Planning: Thinking About the Future.”